Report: PlayStation Single‑Player Exclusives Will Skip PC
// Bloomberg’s Jason Schreier says Hermen Hulst told staff on May 18 that PlayStation’s narrative single‑player games are returning to full console exclusivity.
PlayStation is reportedly pulling back from PC for its big story‑driven releases. Bloomberg reporter Jason Schreier said on May 18, 2026 that PlayStation Studios chief Hermen Hulst told staff in a company town hall that the company’s narrative single‑player games will now remain PlayStation‑only.
That would mark the end of Sony’s recent cadence of belated PC ports for prestige first‑party titles like God of War, Horizon, The Last of Us and Marvel’s Spider‑Man. Multiplayer projects are understood to be a separate case and are still expected to show up on PC, where cross‑play and larger player pools matter most.
Schreier’s note lines up with chatter from earlier this year about a strategic reset under Sony’s new leadership. While Sony hasn’t issued a public statement, the internal guidance described here would effectively close the door on PC versions of upcoming single‑player tentpoles unless the company changes course.
What changes, and what likely stays
If this strategy holds, the shift mainly affects future narrative‑led PlayStation Studios games. Expect those to target PS5 (and its successor) exclusively, with no later Steam or Epic release. Live‑service and competitive titles are a different story; those are still expected to launch on multiple platforms to sustain communities.
There are obvious implications. PC players who discovered PlayStation’s catalog through polished ports over the last few years may have to sit out the next wave of first‑party single‑player adventures. For Sony, the move potentially strengthens the value proposition of buying a PlayStation console but sacrifices the incremental revenue and reach that PC ports brought.
The rationale internally, per the reporting, includes underperforming PC sales on some titles and concern that opening the door to PC long after launch still chips away at the console’s identity. It’s also a clean message for the market: if you want Sony’s next big single‑player epic on day one or any day, you’ll need PlayStation hardware.
Until Sony comments publicly, treat this as a policy update communicated to staff rather than a glossy announcement. But given Schreier’s track record and the specificity of the May 18 town hall reference, this looks like the clearest picture yet of where PlayStation is steering its first‑party slate next.
You can see the summary of Schreier’s Bluesky post in a Reddit roundup of Schreier’s Bluesky post.
Discussion[ 0 ]
// NO_COMMENTS_YET
> be the first to break the silence...
